Monday, August 18, 2014

Flash Fiction - Random 11/08/14

The lights had gone out and red lights started flashing. Two thoughts were desperately fighting for my attention at once. The first was: How did I get here? And the second should have been: This isn’t right.

As the cabin started to fill not just with ice-cold water but also a decidedly unfriendly sound of an alarm my brain only managed to come up with: fuck, shit, fuck….shit.
The speed with which the water rose didn’t allow for any investigations of phenomenological or metaphysical nature. I had to get out of here. And quick.

In the old days this would have been my easiest spell. But the 21st century isn’t a good place for fairies or any magical creatures come to that. And the bridge of a sinking cold war era submarine is certainly not a good place for a fairy with, well, lets say substance using issues.

For years I had a cosy place in one of the old yards at the Plymouth docks but since those had been knocked a few years back, all the other places had been taken up by stupid bats. Would you believe it? There were laws protecting these ugly filthy fuckers. And what about us? Take Iceland for example. Over there we even have a ministry! I should have followed cousin Ernie decades ago, never mind the cold. Damn, what wouldn’t I give for some smack, right now. OK, focus. How long can I hold my breath? What’s the name of that washed out mermaid again? She’d had to come if I only could remember her name. Just like that.

Inspirations:
The three slips randomly selected provided the bones of it.
Substance using (Iron Man 3 – Ben Kingsley’s character)
Bats – discussion I had with Brian one the first day he showed me Saltash when we were talking about bats and Cameron changing the laws.
Fairies, mermaids and other magical creatures in the 21st century: American Gods



No comments:

Post a Comment