Sunday, November 20, 2011

One of the best things about Ireland...

...are the random acts of kindness. In 20 years of experiencing and 10 years of living in Ireland to this day I am always caught by these random acts of kindness. Somebody walks up to you and does something completely unexcpected and real nice. These people can be acquaintances but preferrably they are strangers (we all are strangers almost everywhere...). For example 20 years ago I was somewhere in Ireland trying to hitchhiking home. As it was getting late afternoon that day and I didnt have money to stay somewhere I decided to take a bus. Now, there was this busstop and while I was waiting another shower (after a year in Ireland you barely notice this "moisture") soaked me but I didnt care. Anyways, some 50 yards up the road an old lady came out the house and walked to the busstop. She told me the next bus would be another hour away and invited me to her house for a cup of tea (in 1992 they didnt have these fancy coffees - and cappucino was a horse....). At the time I was wearing a black leather jacket had long hair and 6'4" (1.90m) tall. Would you let any stranger (who was also very skinny and looked very hungry) into your house? She gave me towel so i could dry my hair and we had the loviliest conversation ever.

Dont ask me what we were talking about, or what her name was or where in Ireland it was. But I will never forget this cup of tea and sandwiches she made for me. And I also remember the feeling I had when the bus arrived (we nearly had missed it, but the driver was waiting when she signalled hin to wait form the porch) and I was sitting then on the bus - warm, dry and well fed. And at that time I had not given myself the time of the day. It was the best ever.

Followed closely by the second of the Ten Best of Random acts. When I arrived in Galway in November of 1992. Being very hungry and no money in my pocket again I arrived with the bus (it really was a luxury to afford a lift when you have no money at all) and was walking with a man who I had a brief conversation with on the bus across Eyre Square. He then invited me to an early lunch (I must have looked really really hungry). Just like that.

Whenever I am seriously fed up with the home of my choice these things happen. I dont know any other place in the world where you have this. It can happen everywhere but in Ireland its part of the lifestyle. And you do it to other people as well. No big deal. it just costs you a minute of your life. or an euro or two. But it certainly makes your day. Not because you are great. F... that. No, its the randomness of it all. Or as the Irish would say:

What goes around, comes around...

another one along those lines:

Be always nice to a stranger, he could be a friend

Sadly the Irish losing it a bit. the same in the north of wales. Like Ireland "slightly" developed and the people are pissed off. And in 2011 the UB40 Song is all actual again: Money is too tight to mention... No, for oldstyle - go to the south of wales. Not that developed, not that efficient. but more human and nicer. Quality of life - the essential bit the irish lost when they started dancing around the golden calf...

1 comment:

  1. Ist ja auch nicht Irland.... ;)

    sowieso und ueberhaupt, wenn die pole kippen dann gibt das hier australisches wetter...

    ReplyDelete